A downloadable game for Windows and Linux
BoxByte is a ruthless action arcade game that pulls inspiration from puzzle games and arena games. This genre breaking game uses no attacks and instead uses color matching to eat bytes, powerups, and enemies. Play as Box in his attempt to escape a network tunnel by beating 26 gates blocking his path. By using only three colors, Red, Green, and Blue, solve each gate's challenge and beat the unending flow of bytes that keep you on the edge of your seat.
But, things aren't so simple. Nothing ever is. There's much more to this cyberworld than meets the eye. Bytes aren't the only things you'll find, but that's for you to discover.
Taking the traditional idea of the arcade game and twisting it. Only the quick switching of colors is used to attack and defend, making the gameplay quick to pick up. Each level takes it's turn to change the base game and give you something new. Everything is based on a three color system but warped to keep the player always on their feet.
26 gates block your path.
How far will you get?
What will you find at the end?
Do you have what it takes?
- An arcade throwback to the days of yore but twisted in new ways.
- Unique powerups that really power you up!
- Handcrafted unique art-style. A 6 year labor of love!
- Beautiful animations and seamless transitions between gates make the game a joy to play, not hindered by load screens.
- Amazing soundtrack by Deceased Superior Technician.
- Crazy enemies and hazards that change the gameplay, making it always fresh.
- Time to beat full run: 5hrs (If you're lucky!)
Centered on fun
- A focus on discovery.
- Fast-paced action that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
- Perfect your strategy, BoxByte rewards those who think outside the box.
- Individually designed levels and hazards that constantly change.
- Experimental, revolutionary gameplay not found anywhere else.
- Simple mechanics, deceptively challenging.
Planned Free Updates
- Online leaderboards
- Endless play arena mode
Hi I'm Zay Wolfe, the developer of BoxByte. I first started work on BoxByte 6 years ago! Sounds insane? It was. Haha!
It first started out as a simple 2d game using a crusty engine. Since then I made versions for HTML5 and finally in Unity3d. During this final version I also lost the whole project completely and had to rebuild it from scratch. Hopefully the years pruning and improving it has paid off. While I haven't yet added everything I'd like to, it's finally at a state where I'd like to share it.
Hopefully the years of sweat and frustration pay off by adding a little happiness to your life.
And maybe a little frustration too... The game is very hard :)
|Published||221 days ago|
|Tags||3D, Arcade, Atmospheric, Difficult, Experimental, Minimalist, Neon, Retro, Sci-fi, Singleplayer|
|Average duration||A few hours|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Gamepad (any)|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $2.99 USD. You will get access to the following files: